Saturday, February 5, 2011

Picking a Winner

It fascinates me how football fans go about selecting their Super Bowl favorites. Most of the casual football fans (the ones who watch games occassionally throughout the season) base their decision strictly on emotion. This is probably because they don't especially know too much about the two teams who made it to the championship match. Then there are the ladies who like to pick their winners based on how the players look in their uniforms or which team has the cutest quarterback. Then I also know a few die hard football fans (you know who you are) who have watched NFL Football religiously each Sunday and some of them watched every single game (usually fantasy football players with a vested interest in at least a small portion of every single matchup). These are the guys who will base their pick on sheer statistics and the injury reports and overall health and strength of each team's specific units: Offense, Defense, Special Teaams, etc. Then there are those of us who are still licking their wounds from the regular season and could really care less who wins because they only care about the team they've been loyal to all season long. We just want to see a good game with a lot of back and forth and quality plays. Please, don't let this be a one-sided blowout for either team. One thing missing this year is the decsion making of the football perves (and you too know who you are). These are the horn dogs who choose the winning team by their cheerleaders. This year's game will be lacking cheerleaders due to the fact that neither team has a cheerleading squad. No matter how you go about picking a winner, most fans this year have already made up their minds; have you?

Today's post will be Super Brief, because I've got to get myself prepared for the Super Bowl festivities. I've got my shopping list and I'm ready to head out the door and toss it up with the other last minute Super Bowl Party shoppers. Luckily for me, I won't be doing too much of the work myself this year. Just bring a dish, nothing fancy. I like that. I want to wish everyone out there, football fan or otherwise, a safe, exciting and fun day tomorrow whether you plan on watching the game or not. My surfer friends all say that Super Bowl Sunday is the best day to surf because the breaks are nearly deserted. I seem to recall surfing on both Thanksgiving and Super Bowl Sunday when I was in college on the Big Island. Truly big waves and nobody around for yards and yards. So hit the ski lifts or the waves and enjoy the serenity. The rest of us will be losing our voices shouting at the big screens across the country. I wish all football fans the best of luck no matter which team they've picked as their winner this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment