Thursday, February 17, 2011

Coachability

The fourth 'C' (I know) of the 5 C's of Success is Coachability. Can you honestly say that you are coachable? If I'm going to be completely honest, I have to say that I have a lot of room for improvement in this department. However, I am working on it and perhaps by getting through today's post will help me to make advances toward becoming more coachable myself.

Those who know me well are probably thinking to themselves that this should be interesting. I've been called arrogant, a bad listener, a know-it-all and probably many other terrible things with respect to my willingness to take criticism (constructive or otherwise). I often find myself finishing other peoples sentences and am guilty of interrupting. Therefore, I must say, that nobody will is more in need of today's advice than myself. I'm the poster child for the uncoachable. So when you see me next, gently remind me of this by offering me some advice and see how I respond. This will be the best way for me to kick this horrible habit.

Even the best competitors in the world require coaching to attain the status of "world class" athelete. The Olympics is a prime example of the best in the world still striving to improve themselves. If they can just shave an additional tenth of a second from their time or raise the high jump bar by a single inch, they gladly welcome the advice of others to improve their game. According to Sam Parker of Give More Media, Inc., to be coachable means to be:
          •Approachable
          •Attentive
          •Receptive
          •Curious
          •Objective
          •Trusting
          •Shapeable
          •Confident

If anyone reading this post is willing to help me with my coachability issues, I will in turn, be eternally grateful. I know that this is arguably my biggest vice at this point in my life and career. To put it mildly, I have become my worst adversary. Just accounting for all of my own missed opportunites is enough to make me physically ill. So I begin today, to change. I will learn to be more coachable from this moment forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment